Control Alcohol Drinking

Can alcohol consumption result in drowsiness, confusion, and anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from severe brain fog, confusion, and forgetfulness for the last two months. Almost to the point where I thought I might have had a stroke, Alzheimer's, or liver failure. I now believe that it may be down to the fact that I drink about 10 pints of beer once per week...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It will not be appropriate to tell you without proper examination what exactly you might have. But yes, frequent alcohol drinkers may suffer from vitamin deficiencies (B1, B12, B6), which leads to neurological manifestation and serious consequences in the long term.Most of ...  Read Full »

Blood in vomit after drinking too much alcohol. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I pu...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit. If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons. Alcohol drinking ...  Read Full »

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

Dr. Erfana Malik

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in live...  Read Full »

Can lowering the legal age of drinking combat the problem of binge drinking?

Query: Hi doctor, Medically, is there a big difference between drinking alcohol by an 18 year old and a 21 year old? Some proponents of lowering the legal drinking age believe it will combat the rising problem of binge drinking on college campuses. From a medical perspective, what are the cons of lowering...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

My lipoprotein and hs-CRP is high. Can it cause heart problems?

Query: Hi doctor, I had high hs-CRP of 3.86 around 8 months back. I have got it rechecked and it has gone even higher to 5.36. I have attached the reports of blood test done a couple of days back. This blood test report includes other tests too apart from hs-CRP. I have previously been advised that high l...  Read Full »

Dr. Anoop Mathew

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern regarding the raised hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) and lipoprotein levels (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These biomarkers are predictors of future events. They tell you that there is an inflammatory state t...  Read Full »

My blood smear shows mild anisopoikilocytosis. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 39 years old. I got a master health checkup done last week. In the blood report, RBC smear shows mild anisopoikilocytosis with normochromic red cells mixed with microcytic, hypochromic red cells, and no hemoparasites. I am attaching my test report. What is the treatment for this?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your peripheral smear showing mild microcytic RBC (red blood cells) and MCV (mean corpuscular value) are slightly low, but I do not think it needs any further workup as all other smear ...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control bad odor due to stomach problem.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a regular alcoholic. The problem is that I have bad smell due to stomach problem. Suggest me how to cure bad smell. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Rashi Verma

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With little changes in diet and lifestyle, it is possible to remove the bad smell. Have food in a proper manner and always have smaller bites. Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly so that all of what you eat gets digested. Do not gulp your food. While having...  Read Full »

Are there any tablets to control alcohol drinking?

Query: Hi doctor, My father drinks alcohol heavily every day and behaves very rashly at home. Please suggest some tablets to control alcohol drinking.  Read Full »

Dr. Ananth S

Andrologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have some questions. How old is your dad? How heavy is his drinking? How long has he been drinking? To quit alcohol, the person has to firmly decide to do it. He should join an alcoholic recovery group. To reduce cravings, I suggest medications such as Acamprosate or...  Read Full »

Does a mild mitral valve prolapse require a surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. I had been diagnosed with a mild mitral valve prolapse four years ago. I have been prescribed beta-blockers for the same. Last year when an echo was performed, it showed that the prolapse had reduced. But, in the last few months, due to an increased amount of activity a...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello,  Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have only MVP (mitral valve prolapse), and no other complication such as valve leakage, there is nothing much to worry about. Have you ever had a stroke? I want to see your current ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography report to guide you properly. Re...  Read Full »

I am an alcoholic.Do I have the risk of liver cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. During recent times I am feeling a fear of having liver cancer due to my history of heavy alcoholism. I have mentioned my risk factors below: My body weight is 89Kg and my height is 166cm. I had mumps at an age of 5 years. I have kidney stones (as per the rep...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are essentially normal except for elevated cholesterol (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you have a risk of HCC due to alcohol intake. Grade 1 fatty changes in the liver may be due to obesity and alcohol consumption. But still you not ne...  Read Full »