Fetal Ultrasound

What is the purpose of Down's syndrome test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got the blood test result for Down syndrome and I would like to validate with a doctor. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepali Raina

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I want to assure you that this test is totally normal. I will explain it. There is always a chance of chromosomal abnormalities in all the fetus. The risk is never zero. This is statistically ...  Read Full »

What does irregular gestational sac in ultrasound mean?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8 weeks ultrasound showed an irregular gestational sack. It is mostly round but sort of pointed in one location. What does this mean? Fetal pole 158, measuring 8 weeks and 1 day gestational age. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If fetal cardiac activity is present and pregnancy is 8 weeks on ultrasound. If you do not have any pain or bleeding per vaginal than there is more chance that with medicines pregnancy has more chance for growth. Irregular gestational sac sometimes can be due to uterin...  Read Full »

Why did my second ultrasound show an empty embryonic sac?

Query: Hi.. Doctor, I'm having a situation here.. I am a mother with 2 kids, My last first period was 69 days back. I'm worried and made an UPT which shows positive 20 days back.(after 12 yrs I'm am pregnant). I do faces all the pregnancy symptoms as vomiting and so on.. Unfortunately I am spotting since...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidyaprem

Answer: dear, welcome toiclinq. com I can absolutely understand ur concern.. what u are going through must be missed miscarriage.. this is because of defective embryogenesis( the ovum , becos of ur age may have meitoic dysfunction .. resulting in multiplication errors) ... it's a waY of of natural selec...  Read Full »

Can mental retardation in fetus detected in 30 weeks ultrasound?

Query: Hello doctor, If nasal bone is absent due to trisomy 21, will that fetus suffer from mental retardation? Can mental retardation or other such problems detected by ultrasound at 30 weeks?  Read Full »

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Absent nasal bone is a soft tissue in ultrasound to diagnose Trisomy 21. Absent fetal nasal bone is one of the strongest soft markers in the second-trimester ultrasound screening. Detailed prenatal diagnosis is advisable to rule out abnormal karyotype when absent nasal ...  Read Full »

What possible damage could absence of ductus venosus during 1st and 2nd trimester cause in fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have absence of ductus venosus during pregnancy during the first and second trimester. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Absence of ductus venous during the first and second trimester scan is a vascular condition that might be of concern for fetal abnormalities. It can put the fetus at risk of other congenital anomalies including facial clefts, hemivertebrae, cardiac, genitourinary, and g...  Read Full »

According to USG report, baby growth is delayed by 2 weeks. Will my delivery be delayed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 weeks pregnant (38 weeks and 2 days). I took an ultrasound today. My report shows: Biparietal diameter 8.93 cm (36w 1d) Head circumference 32.17 cm (36w 2d) Abdominal circumference 31.65 cm (35w 4d) Femoral length 6.98 cm (35w 6d) Average age of gestation based on today'...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The growth of the child is two weeks smaller for 38 weeks but corresponding to its ultrasound age, the weight of the baby is fine. There is a likelihood that you may have had an irregularity in your menses earlier and your ovulation may have been delayed and leading ...  Read Full »

What causes the collection of fluid around the heart of the fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old, currently pregnant with my second child for 26 weeks and 5 days. I just left the doctor's office having done an anatomy ultrasound. The doctor said there is a little fluid around my baby's heart, but not to worry. I have been scheduled in three weeks for the same u...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your anxiety. Let me clear you some facts. A basic anomaly scan is done at 18-20 weeks and if that was normal, it shows that no structural anomalies are there. Secondly, this scan was done at 26 weeks and 5 days when the fetus is half developed. As far ...  Read Full »

Please suggest an opinion on my pregnancy ultrasound scan.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. My ultrasound scan shows that I am 29 weeks pregnant with single transverse placental localizations is posterior, lower segment and complete, Previa liquor is moderate, fetal heart beat and movement is present. Approximate fetal weight is 1300 gm, BPD is 7.48 cm, F....  Read Full »

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This pregnancy is absolutely going fine till date. But let me tell you one thing that it is a high-risk pregnancy because of the placental localization, which is called Placenta Previa. So you have to be very much cautious during this pregnancy. Do not do heavy stren...  Read Full »

My OBG advised me to have a 2D echo as the fetal heart size is 64% instead of 50%. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 8 months pregnant. My obstetrician did an ultrasound, and according to her, my unborn child's heart size is at 64% when it should be less 50%. She advised me to have a 2D echo done, and I have not received the result yet. Is my child in danger?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. Fetal echocardiography is not 100 percent reliable, so cardiac defects cannot be solely decided on imaging. Comprehensive patient history, other illnesses, medicines taken during pregnancy, and family history are important. If the fetus is normal...  Read Full »

I am 37 weeks pregnant and my scan says head is not fixed. Is there any chances of normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 weeks pregnant now. Today doctor told me to get admitted everything is fine as per scanning only head is not fixed. Are there any chances of normal delivery?  Read Full »

Dr. Arohi Anil Tasgaonkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there any other reason why your doctor wants you to get admitted. If everything is normal with you and your baby, then we can safely wait till 40 weeks of pregnancy before taking a call for labor. There multiple factors like, 1. Whether the head of the baby has ...  Read Full »