Importance Of Breastfeeding

How to know if your newborn is getting enough breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 weeks old and she is sleeping all day. I have to force her to breastfeed and she will drink less and sleep again. She is awake in the night and having a good amount of milk in the night. She makes on average five to six wet clothes. I am worried as she is sleeping 7 to 8 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query. I would say that what the other pediatricians have told you is true. This is normal with newborn babies till a few weeks. Yes, they tend to sleep a lot and you need not worry about the sleep. On an average, you have to breastfeed the bab...  Read Full »

What should I do to make my little one take breast milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10 months old baby is refusing to breastfeed suddenly. What can I do to feed him again?  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since when is your baby refusing breastfeeding (specify the duration)? Are there any other symptoms associated with refusal to feed? If yes, please specify. How is the activity of your baby? What are the complementary feeds you are giving to your baby apart from your br...  Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that onc...  Read Full »

Is it normal for baby motions to be loose?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is of 9 days old now. She is suffering from loose motion. I had given her Colicaid six drops in last 24 hours. She is only on breastfeed. Is it safe for her?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A baby can pass five to six stools in a day or can pass stool once in two days. Both are normal. Since, baby is on exclusive breastfeed chance of infection is very less. Briefly, your baby is normal. In my opinion, you should give prebiotic like Enterogermina (Ba...  Read Full »

Why is my baby vomiting after eating solids?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is just five and a half months old and yesterday I started her on solids. Before that, she was exclusively on breast milk. I gave her a packaged wheat and apple baby food. Two hours after she ate it, she vomited everything out. So, the rest of the day I just gave her brea...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of five and a half months, a baby will sit only with support. Neck holding is attained only by three to six months. So, it is normal. About the feeding, the ideal time to switch to weaning foods is when the baby completes six months. Until then breast milk ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Carbamazepine while breastfeeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a mother of 1 month old baby, who is exclusively breastfed. My baby is healthy and gaining normal weight. The problem is that he sleeps a lot. I have been taking Carbamazepine and Eslicarbazepine tablets for partial seizures. Are these tablets safe while breastfeeding? When I consul...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your doctor is right. Carbamazepine can get secreted in breast milk and it is the safest antiepileptic during lactation. 1 month old baby sleeps a lot. They can sleep for about 18 to 20 hours a day. They will wake up only for feeds. As long as the baby is gaining weight, ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for inadequate breast milk secretion?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I have a three months old baby. I am giving formula milk for my baby from the first month, because from the beginning I did not have adequate milk secretion. Also, I am breastfeeding three to four times a day in between. As I had cold and light fever I stopped br...  Read Full »

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You really have a serious problem. Lactation usually depends on sucking reflex. As the baby sucks the nipple it produces a hormone called prolactin in the mother's body which is responsible for milk secretion and this forms a cycle. As you have stopped breastfeeding, your...  Read Full »

My breast milk is not sufficient for my 33 days old son. Can I give him powder milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My second baby boy is 33 days old. I am breastfeeding him from birth, but now the breast milk is not sufficient for him. What should I do now? Shall I go for milk powders? Or is there any other way to increase breast milk production? Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two definite methods to ensure that the baby is getting adequate milk or not. They are: If the baby is gaining weight of 150 g or more per week, then the baby is getting sufficient milk. If the baby is passing urine more than 6 to 8 times a day (large amount), ...  Read Full »

My 45 days old baby is fussy and aggressive while I feed her. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 45 days old. She is fully breastfed. At many times, she seems to be fussy and aggressive while I nurse her. I rule out either the possibility of milk being too fast or too slow since on both occasions she seems to react the same. After being fussy, she appears to be on and...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a common problem most mothers will face. The success of breastfeeding involves the participation of both mother and baby. Both of you have to learn to feed. I suggest you a few tips for a successful breastfeeding. Let your baby lie in a straight line. Both baby...  Read Full »

My 2 month old baby is crying a lot. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 months old baby is crying a lot. She is crying most of the day and is refusing mother's milk. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. If a 2 month old child is crying, then it could be due to pain in the abdomen due to colic. I suggest you start Colicaid drops (Dil oil, Fennel oil, and Simethicone), four drops thrice a day for three days. If the child is not taking ...  Read Full »