Seborrheic Dermatitis

Related Terms: Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, Dandruff, Ketoconazole Shampoo, Acne, Eczema, Atopic Dermatitis, Dry Skin

Seborrheic Dermatitis - the Most Common Scalp Condition
Article Overview: This article discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of seborrheic dermatitis in both infants and adults.  Read Article »

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder with an inflammatory component. It is characterized by well-defined erythema and accompanied by overlying greasy scales. Seborrheic dermatitis will be seen over areas rich in sebum namely scalp, eyebrows, center of the face, eyelids, around and in t ...  Read Article »

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?
Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis from your history would still be seborrheic dermatitis or sebopsoriasis or scalp psoriasis. This is more of a cyclical problem, it tends to curb down with 2 to 3 months of treatment, but recurring back with a change in season or lifestyle. However, it n...  Read Full »

Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?
Query: Hello doctor, My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone. This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis? How long will it l...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The baby has post-inflammatory hypopigmentation due to seborrheic dermatitis. It is nothing serious and will go with time. I suggest you apply Desowen lotion (D...  Read Full »

I have a rash on my face that has come back more aggressive than before. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old and suffering from a rash on my face. The first breakout was around five weeks ago. I noticed a red spot above my left eyebrow after hearing a stressful news and eventually it spread to my chin and above my lip. I was at the beach and after around three days, the ra...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be seborrheic dermatitis or photodermatitis. Allergies may be playing a role. All these are visual diagnosis and the lab tests or biopsies have limited or no role. Seborrheic dermatitis is more commonly present with dandruff and similar rashes on the neck...  Read Full »

What are the causes of flaky white patches on a baby's forehead?
Query: Hi doctor, My baby is four months old. He has white patches on his forehead and around his eyes. They are flaky and little skin peels off. I am much worried. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It may be due to seborrheic dermatitis (itchy red rash with flaky scales) or atopic dermatitis or simple dryness. Please consult a dermatologist for examination and management. Use mild soap or cleanser for face wash. You can also use a moisturizer.  Read Full »

Why is my baby having red pimples in a cluster on both cheeks?
Query: Hello doctor, My baby (one and a half months old) is having red pimples in a cluster on both cheeks. It is very rough to touch and skin appears dry in that area. It does not cause him itching as far as I can see and it is not bleeding or oozing. It has black dots (like when a wound heals) in some ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Babies at this age might suffer from seborrheic dermatitis over scalp, face and upper trunk and the most probable cause is maternal androgens hormones. And skin in such cases are dry, flaky, erythematous and somewhat oozing. However, there is nothing to worry about the...  Read Full »

I am suffering from dry and scaly scalp. Is that scalp psoriasis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dry, scaly patches on the scalp for the last six to eight months. Since childhood, I have severe dandruff, mild itching and hair fall. I consulted two doctors. First one said that it may by scalp psoriasis and the other told that it looks like some fungal infection....  Read Full »
Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the symptoms can be of both seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis. To differentiate, please answer the following. Do have a family history of psoriasis? Is there a history of exacerbation in winter or itching over the face and back? Please f...  Read Full »

What is treatment for white spots on face?
Query: Hello doctor, I had white spots on my face and it is increasing day by day. Currently, I am taking medicine of fungal allergy in the chest. I am a male, 23 years, 174 cm, 63 kg.  Read Full »
Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks to me like a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. Avoid using oil on the scalp or face. It is also a type of fungal infection of the skin. Apply the shampoo I am writing here. AF-K shampoo thrice a week. Candid-KZ cream for local application twice a day. T...  Read Full »

There is itching and irritation with red patches in the skin. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, Few days before, my skin got irritated. I thought it was natural. Last night, just after washing my face with facewash, my skin got red patches in the morning and I have itching type sensation. It looks very awkward. Please help me.  Read Full »
Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irritation and itching on the face can be due to seborrheic dermatitis, polymorphous light eruption, irritant contact dermatitis, and many more. It would be easier for me to make a diagnosis if I see the picture. Can you please attach your clinical pictures of the face?...  Read Full »

What is the most effective treatment for clogged skin pores?
Query: Hi doctor, Can dead skin and excessive sebum buildup cause itchy skin? If so then what is the most effective treatment for clogged pores?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have excess sebum then you can develop acne or seborrheic dermatitis,which can cause itching.The best way to remove excess of sebum is steaming your face which not only open your closed pores but also reduce the chance of acne and other skin disease.You should do f...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Seborrheic Dermatitis? We have medical experts to help you right away.