Amlodipine

Related Terms: Hypertension, Blood Pressure Monitor, Blood Pressure, Low Salt Diet, High Blood Pressure, Anti-hypertensive Pills, Heart Rate

I am taking Amlodipine for BP. Do I need to change the medication?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My BP is 180/90. After consulting a physician I am taking tablet Amlong 5 mg one full in the morning and half in the night. Post using this tablet my BP is 120/80 and sometimes shoots up to 140/80. I am on this medication for the past two years. I got a complete routi...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. BP (blood pressure) of 180/90 in spite of using tablet Amlong (Amlodipine) is not acceptable. Presently, there is no need to change the medicine. Just increase the dose of tablet Amlong to 10mg twice a day. Recheck your BP after 2 weeks. Tablet Amlong use...  Read Full »

Shall I take Amlodipine to control my BP?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 39 years old and my weight is 70. My blood pressure is 130/80 mmHg. I am on Seloken XL 50 once daily. Can I use non-selective beta blocker instead of beta blockers? Please advise if Amlodipine is good.  Read Full »
Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question is a hypothetical one. The reason being every drug is good and bad and has its own pros and cons. Metoprolol is a wonderful drug to slow down the heart rate without side effects on other organs. Metoprolol is a cardioselective beta blocke. Having said that...  Read Full »

How to lower blood pressure? I am a chronic high BP patient and taking Amlodipine and Atenolol
Query: Dear Doctor, I am a chronic High BP patient since 1998. Taking medications Amlodipine 5mg and Atenolol 50mg (AMLO Press-AT). Now the BP reading shows as 160/120. How to lower the blood pressure?  Read Full »
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are a case of chronic hypertension, you must regularly get your blood pressure checked from a local doctor and the dose needs to be adjusted accordingly either to increase or decrease. Investigations:- Routine investigations must be done including blood sugar,...  Read Full »

Is it true that body might get habitual to antihypertensive drugs?
Query: Hi doctor, My father is taking Telma AM 80/5. How can it be gradually lowered to AM 40/5? Please advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Telma AM 80/5 contains Telmisartan 80 mg and Amlodipine 5 mg. It is generally prescribed to treat high blood pressure (BP) or resistant hypertension and control various heart problems. You must understand that blood pressure is a pathophysiological condition which may not...  Read Full »

Are these medicines sufficient to control hypertension?
Query: Hi doctor, For controlling my hypertension, I was prescribed Benicar 40/12.5 mg once in the morning, Amlodipine 5 mg twice a day and Clonidine once in the evening. These were prescribed after ECG and blood work. Even, after taking the medication, my BP is usually 160/85 mmHg. What to do further...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to highlight a few important points here: Amlodipine should be used once daily. Instead of taking 5 mg twice daily you should take 10 mg once daily, which is the maximum dose. Clonidine on the other side can actually cause rebound hypertension, which ca...  Read Full »

Uric acid is increasing. Can I shift to Aldactone from HCTZ?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a hypertensive 31-year-old. ECG, TMT normal, echo normal except mild concentric LVH. On Telmisartan/ Amlodipine (80/5) at night and Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide (5/12.5) in morning. HCTZ was started one month back but after monitoring Na, K are alright but uric acid is on the i...  Read Full »
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree with you that Hydrochlorothiazide increases uric acid levels, while Amlodipine may increase the leg swelling (peripheral edema). Coming to this point, Aldactone can be added to your therapy, but it has a weak antihypertensive effect and it may lead to high po...  Read Full »

Despite taking Lisinopril, there is no improvement in BP. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My blood pressure is 160/100 mmHg. There is no improvement even after I take Lisinopril 20 mg? Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your blood pressure is not under control after taking Lisinopril, then I would suggest another antihypertensive pill called Amlodipine. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent. I also suggest kidney function tests, fasting...  Read Full »

My stress test showed abnormality. Is there any health issue?
Query: Hi doctor, Shortness of breath and rapidly reaching maximum heart rate has been my concern for many years. I turned 50 this year. It is impacting my ability yo exercise, so thought it was time to investigate. I just had a cardiac catheterization test. No blockages were discovered. However, they were...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you need to be started on medicines called as diuretics like Torsemide 10 mg once a day in the morning and also Amlodipine should be replaced with Beta blockers like Metoprolol XR 25 mg once a day. Both drugs will help you in relief of symptoms and also other ben...  Read Full »

Do beta blockers cause hair thinning?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old and diagnosed with preliminary hypertension. All my tests including ECG, TMT, 2D echo, brain CT scan, pulmonary embolism (to rule out the cause for sinus tachycardia), 48 hours Holter monitor, chest X-ray, lipid profile, and kidney and liver function tests. TMT, 2D ec...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the description it appears, you just have hypertension and no other problems. Firstly, just for hypertension, now beta blockers are not given as a first line medicine. It is given after calcium channel blockers (Amlodipine), ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) i...  Read Full »

Which BP medicine is good for someone who had a kidney transplant?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a kidney transplant 17 years ago. My local doctor is on a trip overseas. So, I need some help. My only problem now is an increase in the BP. It shows 170/110 and the creatinine level is 1.7. This is the second time, I am getting such levels. Three years ago, I got the same. But...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Serum creatinine levels can be reduced only with the aim of keeping blood pressure as low as 120/80 mmHg. I would recommend you get your complete blood count, and urine culture done. You can start with Amlodipine 5 mg once daily and can increase it to twi...  Read Full »

{{item.dr_name}}
{{item.sp}}  

Do you have a question on Amlodipine? We have medical experts to help you right away.