Cirrhosis

Related Terms: Fatty Liver, Hepatitis, Alcoholism, Liver Function Test, Jaundice, Hepatitis B Virus, Liver Damage

Does a cirrhosis patient require medicines to increase platelet count and Hb?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a liver cirrhosis patient. My platelet count is 72,000 and hemoglobin is 10. Everything else including protein and albumin are normal. The doctor is giving Ricovir 300, Pantosec 40, Udliv 150, Vitamin A to Z daily and Lasilactone 50 mg on alternate days. But, he is not giving any...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In liver cirrhosis, chronic fibrosis occurs and such fibrotic tissue obstructs portal blood flow and so, because of portal hypertension splenomegaly can occur. An enlarged spleen traps platelet count and so your platelet count is low. With an improvement of cirrhosi...  Read Full »

Is Quinine safe in liver cirrhosis patient with low platelets?
Query: Hello doctor,My husband has an advanced stage liver cirrhosis and gets muscle cramps in legs from time to time, at night time or when he wakes up in the morning. Other patients with similar issues recommend drinking tonic water that contains Quinine or taking Calcium Magnesium supplements. He has ve...  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cramps happen in cirrhotics due to nutritional insufficiency, mineral deficiency, mainly calcium and magnesium. My suggestions would be: Calcerol sachet (Vitamin D3 60000) once weekly for six weeks. Tablet Magnical (Magnesium with Calcium) twice daily for a month to...  Read Full »

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?
Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?
Query: Hello doctor, I had fatty liver (due to being overweight: BMI - 28.1) 3 years ago. I do not consume alcohol. At that time the enzymes were 3-4 times elevated and had signs of fat in liver. Then I lost weight and my liver enzyme levels improved. In this last one year all my liver enzymes are normal. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on 1st December 2014 sho...  Read Full »

How to improve the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient?
Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I j...  Read Full »
Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As described in the case summary, the patient's condition is critical (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Decompensated cirrhosis is an irreversible disease, and it seems the patient has all the complications of the disease. The optimum medical manageme...  Read Full »

I have itching on different parts of my body. Is it a sign of liver cirrhosis?
Query: Hello doctor,I have itching on my body since three days. It is not on one part. It happens in different parts of my body. I have a very fatty liver disease. Can it be related to the liver? I do not have any other symptoms of liver problem like yellow eyes. Can it be a sign of liver cirrhosis?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Itching is a sign of obstructive jaundice only in case you are relating it to liver disease. Since you have got your ultrasound done, it would have shown signs of obstruction, if any. You need to find other causes of itching like thyroid disorder, diabetes, drugs, etc....  Read Full »

I had two CAT scans with and without contrast. Which is reliable?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a CAT scan done two weeks ago with dye. It showed that my liver was normal. I had another one done yesterday as I am having problems with diverticulitis with dye and oral white drink. This one showed subtle roughness of liver, suggesting cirrhosis. I have had elevated liver enzym...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your question is really genuine. Cirrhosis is a slowly evolving disease and it cannot occur in a matter of weeks. Hence, it is extremely unlikely that cirrhosis has happened in two weeks. In my opinion, either one of the scan report is interpreted wrongly. In my opinion, ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended diet for jaundice?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from jaundice for the past three months. I am feeling fatigued. I have been drinking about 150 mL whisky every day for the past 9 years. But, I did not drink anything in the last three months. I tested for bilirubin, serum, hemoglobin. My liver shrank in size and th...  Read Full »
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might be suffering from liver cirrhosis (due to alcoholism) with portal hypertension (enlarged spleen). According to your history, you must be under the category of first stage cirrhosis. The diet includes high protein, low salt and low fat diet. Fluid intake daily m...  Read Full »

Please suggest me a suitable therapy for lower back pain.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. Four months back, I was admitted in a hospital for stomach ache. After blood tests, ultrasound and a CT scan, I was diagnosed with liver parenchymal disease, mild umbilical hernia and grade III varices. I have never tasted any type of alcohol or tobacco in ...  Read Full »
Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are young and already have cirrhosis with portal hypertension, I need to know the etiology. Get tested for hepatitis B and C, autoimmune liver markers and probably a liver biopsy. Avoid added salt. Monitor carefully for abdominal distension and bleeding. Pain in t...  Read Full »

I have enlarged liver with grade 3 fatty changes. Is it life threatening?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 51 years old and have been diagnosed with an enlarged liver showing fatty changes grade-3. Is it life threatening?  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fatty liver change is a progressive condition that leads to liver cirrhosis after years if not managed properly. Risk factors include obesity, high cholesterol, and alcohol. Please provide me with your alcohol intake history and your lipid profile and liver functio...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Cirrhosis? We have medical experts to help you right away.