Jak 2 Mutation

Related Terms: High Rbc Count, Polycythemia Vera, High Hemoglobin, High Hematocrit, Polycythemia, Hemoglobin, Hydroxyurea Therapy

Is there any association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis?
Query: Hello doctor, Is there an association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis? I have a high Hb of 18 and hematocrit of 51 %. I am a student and found to have incidental polycythemia. I tested for all myeloproliferative neoplasm and bone marrow biopsy is negative for MPN. However, I was tested to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in hemochromatosis, storage iron is increased, that is serum ferritin. So you can investigate with serum ferritin as well. If you have myeloproliferative neoplasm like polycythemia, then usually it can be clear from bone marrow study and JAK2 mutation. It co...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic smoking can lead to heart failure, chronic lung disease, etc., and hence, polycythemia occurs. It is called secondary polycythemia. With the treatment, the prognosis is good in secondary polycythemia. But, polycythemia can occur as primary polycythemia as well, an...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated. Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure...  Read Full »

Why do I have persistently high Hb and HCT?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have a history of celiac disease and a past medical history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a stage 2 cervical lymph node and tumors in my chest. I had a blood test last week which showed B12 and folic acid deficiency, raised hemoglobin of 161 and raised hematocrit of ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having celiac disease in which because of malabsorption vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency can occur. This deficiency also can be developed if polycythemia present in which proliferation more. Here hemoglobin and HCT is high as per history. Hence if it i...  Read Full »

What are the reasons for high platelet count?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old diabetic female. My platelet count is high at 9 lakhs in routine CBC. My iron is normal. My USG showed hepatosplenomegaly and PBS showed microcytic hypochromic anisocytosis. What shall I do now?  Read Full »
Dr. Veerendra Patil
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The platelet count is above the normal range. There are many reasons for such elevated platelet count. It needs further investigations, including genetic tests. The conditions like essential thrombocytosis could be considered with the available information from you. It...  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full »

Why am I having high RBC and hemoglobin counts with low glycated hemoglobin?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 53 years old, 183 lbs, 5'4". For years, I ran a high white blood count and the oncologist said nothing can be done about that. We need to now watch red blood count and RBC distribution and watch my spleen. Now approximately nine years later, for the last four years, I am seeing r...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion. Your attached reports are suggestive of high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT as per provided reference range in a laboratory report. So it is suggestive of polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia s...  Read Full »

Is polycythemia vera related to cancer?
Query: Hello doctor,I am a female, 50 years old and want to know whether polycythemia vera is related to cancer or not. I have taken JAK2 mutation test which is negative. What is this test for? I have erythromelalgia blood disorder. Is all this connected to cancer? I want to understand this test and doubts...  Read Full »
Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Polycythemia vera is not exactly cancer. It comes under the group of diseases called myeloproliferative disorders. Basically, it is an uncontrolled proliferation of your blood cells. In polycythemia vera, your red blood cells increase in an uncontrolled way. Usually ...  Read Full »

There is a drastic decrease in my platelet count in the last five months. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, My hemoglobin level increased from 15 to 17, and platelet count decreased from 3.1 to 1.4 lakhs in the last five months. The only symptom I have is occasional skin itching.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your platelet count decreased over four months duration, chronic infection and drug history have to be ruled out first. If they are not causative then a detailed investigation plan should be decided according to the examinations as follows:  ESR (ery...  Read Full »

If I quit smoking, will my RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV levels come back to normal?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from hypertension since few years, and I am currently on medication Telmisartan. I am an alcoholic and smoker, and I smoke approximately 15 cigarettes a day for the last five years. My current CBC report suggests high RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV. Though it reduced slightly...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis is polycythemia. Polycythemia can be secondary or primary. Secondary polycythemia occurs because of hypoxia, which activates the oxygen sensor and more erythropoiet...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Jak 2 Mutation? We have medical experts to help you right away.