Mitral Regurgitation

Related Terms: Echocardiogram, Electrocardiogram, Tricuspid Regurgitation, ECG, Abnormal Heart Rate, Anxiety, Aortic Valve Regurgitation

Reports show AML prolapse. Is there a way to avoid mitral regurgitation developing?
Query: Hello doctor, My blood pressure is 140/90 since one year and I am using Telmikind 40 tablet in the morning. Today, I visited the cardiologist and he suggested 2D echo and ECG. The reports show mitral valve has AML prolapse and no MR. Kindly clarify this. Is something wrong? I am attaching the repor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your ECG is normal. In the echo, there is AML (anterior mitral leaflet) prolapse, which means there is slight backward bulging of the valve leaflet. This is mild and there is no leakag...  Read Full »

Is mitral valve prolapse a reversible condition?
Query: Hello doctor, I was recommended by my cardiologist for a heart valve replacement surgery as my latest echocardiogram results, both transthoracic (TTE) and transesophageal (TEE), revealed that my mitral valve prolapse had worsened. The diagnosis was severe eccentric MR. However, during the latest TT...  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, the severity of MR (mitral regurgitation) will be correctly deciphered by your cardiologist. An eccentric type of MR is actually a grade higher than what it looks. Like your radiologist may think it is moderate but it is severe, but bec...  Read Full »

My heart is beating fast. Is it due to anxiety or any underlying problem?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. I have noticed that sometimes I wake up with my heart beating too fast and can feel my heart. This first happened when I woke up and took a look at my little child and thought my child was not breathing. That time my heart rate increased strongly. After this, sometimes ...  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please follow exercise and diet to reduce weight. Trivial MR - mitral regurgitation can progress and cause atrial fibrillation (irregular fast heart beat). So, for now check your thyroid functions (T3, T4 and TSH - thyroid-stimulating hormone), ECG (electrocardiogram...  Read Full »

Can you explain my maid's heart condition in simple terms?
Query: Hi doctor, My maid has a heart problem since her birth. She complains of pain in heart, a sudden increase in heartbeat, feels hot and leg pain. Now, she feels very weak. Her echo was done recently and I have attached that here.  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Her echocardiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows three heart valves have been affected, mitral regurgitation (MR), tricuspid valve regurgitation (TR) and aortic valve regurgitation (AR). Her LVEF is 38% (left ventricular ejection fraction). Her h...  Read Full »

What does ballerina foot mean?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been told that I have ballerina foot. Is this dangerous? Does it mean I have a heart disease? Or is it a common finding?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It means that you have a condition known as mitral valve prolapse. Mitral valve prolapse predisposes to mitral regurgitation that is valvular leak. So, you have to be monitored annually to see the degree of valve leak. For further information consult a cardiologist onlin...  Read Full »

What does my 2D echo report indicate?
Query: Hello doctor, I have thickened tip of mitral valve leaflet with prolapse of the mitral valve leaflet to the left atrium during systole producing moderate mitral regurgitation with an EF of 34% and left atrial enlargement. There are normal coronary artery sizes. There is normal pulmonary artery pres...  Read Full »
Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your echo report is showing that you have rheumatic heart disease with involvement of mitral valve. There is a leak in mitral valve termed as mitral regurgitation. Mitral regurg...  Read Full »

Troponin-T, MR and TR levels are high after first heart attack. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, Actually, my father has just had the first attack of heart and his troponin-T test value is 1.76 ng/ml. Also, his echo test reports are showing the TR and MR results in higher. He is planning to have angiography but I do not think that he should stop there. So please guide him. I need...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So basically after a heart attack, best possible treatment is angiography followed by angioplasty or bypass surgery. So he should have angiography done and further management will depend on angiography report. Till the time, he should continue medicines which will pr...  Read Full »

What am I suffering from, classic or non-classic MVP?
Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago, I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, eccentric, very mild regurgitation and mild leaflet thickness. My questions are as follows. Will this condition get worse? Can you tell by looking at the echocardiogram images, whether it is classic MVP or non-classic MV...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like non-classic MVP (mitral valve prolapse). There is mildly thickened AML - anterior mitral leaflet, but it does not matter much. Only the grade of MR is important. Eccentric jet is more dangerous as leaking of the valve will hit directly to wall when it is ...  Read Full »

Heart Valve Regurgitation
Article Overview: Regurgitation is the backflow of the blood in the opposite direction due to improper closure of the heart valves. This article discusses why it occurs.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Regurgitation is the backflow of the blood in the opposite direction due to improper closure of the heart valves. There are four types depending on which of the valves are affected. Mitral regurgitation. Aortic regurgitation. Tricuspid regurgitation. Pulmonary regurgitation. Why Does It Occur? I ...  Read Article »

Is kidney transplant advisable in a patient with diabetic nephropathy and congestive heart failure?
Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about the kidney transplant that if it is safe to do for my mother. My mother is 60 years old and has diabetic nephropathy, chronic kidney disease, GFR is 6. Creatinine is 543. Potassium is 5. She had congestive heart failure, severe mitral regurgitation. The ejection fr...  Read Full »
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your question and would explain that kidney transplant would be a perfect solution for her low kidney function, but it could be at high risk because of her heart function. You should know that heart failure has a reserved life-expectancy. You...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Mitral Regurgitation? We have medical experts to help you right away.