Painful Periods

Why do I have a painful period, facial hair, and pimples on my armpit?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an irregular period ever since I was in college, and when it comes, my period usually lasts for four days (abdomen pain is just usual, not much). However, just this month, I had a very painful experience (I do not know if it is caused by air cause I had the fan turned on while slee...  Read Full »

Dr. Sangeeta Milap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your problem. You could be having PCOD (Polycystic ovarian disease), in which there is ovarian dysfunction due to multiple cysts in the ovary. You might also be having pain due to some infection in the uterus, tubes, or ovaries. Get an ultrasoun...  Read Full »

Why are my periods heavy and painful after abortion?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having an issue. Now I had an abortion two months back when I was just a couple days past two months. Now since I did that, my periods have been heavy and very painful. Also, I keep having pelvic pain and sometimes stomach pain. Could I please get some advice on what might be the issu...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be better if you could send me your detailed gynecology, obstetrics, medical, and drug history. Have healthy habits like daily exercise, walk, yoga and a healthy nutritious diet with less salt, sugar, oil and spice. Have a soft diet and complete check-up and ...  Read Full »

Can back pain with painful periods be symptoms of PCOD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing pain in my back on the right side for a few weeks. The problem varies from flank to lower back. With some movement, I have pain. My bladder also feels full, very often having an urge to urinate even if the bladder is not full. So I took a muscle relaxant and I...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. I have gone through your history and USG (Ultrasonography) reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) . Your ovaries are bulky, but ovarian volume is not mentioned in the latest report. According to the size, it will be more than 1...  Read Full »

I am getting extremely painful period. If I skip my period my taking continuous birth control pill, will it be harmful?

Query: Hello doctor, My questions are regarding my painful period. I used to have extremely painful period every month, similar to contractions. I am unable to drive, work, or do normal activities while on period. Birth control pills were prescribed (to control acne) and lower the pain last year. Medicine...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Painful periods are widespread, and they usually get resolved with pills. But if you still think that your pain is not getting fixed with those, then you might try pain killers like Mefenamic acid during your periods. And yes, that is possible to go without periods ...  Read Full »

I am having severe cramps during periods. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,When I was in high school, I had horrible periods. Very heavy bleeding, big clots and they would last longer than a week sometimes. I never told anyone because I was embarrassed and eventually, it calmed down and they were more normal. I still had awful, awful cramps every month though unt...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms can have two causes, one is low pain threshold (pain sensitivity varies among individuals) or endometriosis. Endometriosis is less likely in your case as oral contraceptives are known to suppress it. If you are taking low dose oral contraceptive (Estrogen ...  Read Full »

Why is there painful heavy periods in the first few years?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 18 years old and have always suffered from awful period pains and I am having extreme heavy flow (changing a super tampon every hour, otherwise I leak through). I get cramp so bad that if I do not sort of move around I feel as if I am going to throw up or pass out. I am honestly si...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I understand what you are going through. Till the age of 19 to 21, the hormonal balance between the brain and ovaries is not proper. So, the bleeding will be altered, not on a proper date and maybe more than normal. When the blood more than normal ha...  Read Full »

I have pain before I get my period. What is happening?

Query: Hello doctor, After my second child (born three years ago) I had PPH. It was a terrible experience and my ob/gyn literally had to pull the clots out with his arms while two nurses held me down. It had to be done so quickly. And now to this day, I always have pain before I get my period, and at rand...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not be stressed and think positive. It would be better if you send me your complete history of menses, gynecological, obstetrics, medicine, and medications you had ever. As far as I could understand, you had postpartum bleeding (after delivery of your second chil...  Read Full »

13 year old girl suffers with painful periods. What is wrong with her?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 13 years old. She has been developing some symptoms that worries me. I think she may have endometriosis. She got her first periods in her fifth grade and the symptoms started when she began her sixth grade. She is having extremely heavy periods with painful cramping, nausea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As she is just 13 there are menses which are anovulatory in the initial two years and the hormones are not matured at all. Endometriosis in adolescents is fairly uncommon unless they have been sexually active. An endometriosis pain is typically only during menses a...  Read Full »

Kindly recommend a drug to stop ovulation and menstruation permanently.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to stop having menstrual period. I am 38 and widowed. I go through pains in both period and ovulation. Kindly recommend a drug that can stop ovulation and menstruation permanently. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For stopping menses, few medical options are there but you have to be on hormones continuously and it could have some long-term side effects as well. But, if you go for a surgical option, it would be permanent with no side effects. You can have continuous Progestero...  Read Full »

Fibroids causing painful menstrual period with clots. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38. I have fibroids. The last time I went to the hospital, I had a blood transfusion. Both the legs were swollen due to lack of protein in the blood. I am on my menstrual period right now. My abdomen feels very heavy. And I cant control the bleeding. I cannot user tampons because...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Fibroids may cause excessive bleeding. So, a strict management is required. If fertility is not required, hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) is an option. If fertility is required, myomectomy (removal of fibroids) is a good option. Bef...  Read Full »