Raised Liver Enzymes

How long does it take for liver enzymes to normalize?

Query: Hi doctor, My ALT 384, AST 144, glutamyl 151, alkaline 131, albumin 45, lipase 24, amylase 68, CRP 7.7 and bilirubin normal. I have stopped drinking alcohol. How long will it take to normalize other enzyme levels? What are the risks I have from the above report?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Enzyme levels are abnormal secondary to hepatic injury. Liver is an excellent organ and recovers very fast. As the bilirubin is normal, I would not expect any major injury. Not only alcohol, you need to be careful about vari...  Read Full »

What causes elevated liver enzymes and low white blood cell count?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a complete blood profile done about two weeks ago, and my doctor said that my reports were normal. But, my WBC and neutrophil count were low. After doing some internet searches, I am anxious. Although the doctor said it was fine, he gave me some supplements. But lately, I have bee...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Shivraj Dhamankar

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your history, I think the reason for your low WBC is stress and raised liver enzymes is because of fatty liver, which is a benign condition. Moderately low WBC coun...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for raised liver enzymes during fever?

Query: Hi doctor, The issue is from 39 years ago. When I was 13 years old, I was considered for the possibility of poisoning. I was admitted to hospital for 8 days and the diagnoses were cervical adenitis and viral syndrome. I had a fever of 103 degrees for several days before going to hospital. My throat ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as I know, Strep throat should not give you transaminitis unless you had multi organ system dysfunction, which would also include worsening of renal function. The other possibility could be using medications like Acetaminophen to reduce the fever before...  Read Full »

ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition du...  Read Full »

Is chronic ileitis a curable one?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from IBS since the last year. I am getting diarrhea whenever I eat outside food. Recently, I have been detected with chronic ileitis with activity after colonoscopy. I am ready to send the reports for kind perusal of gastroenterologist. Is it curable? I am now o...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, these ulcers can be healed. But, it will take some time. Colonoscopy shows multiple ulcers in terminal ileum. The cause of these ulcers could be Crohn's disease, tubercular ulcers or chronic non-specific ulcers which heal by their own. But, your report does ...  Read Full »

Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, h...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted. He has the following problems: Low platelet count of 40,000. Iron-deficiency anemia. Hepatospleenomegaly. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of...  Read Full »

What is the difference between jaundice and hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed to be suffering from hepatitis. My SGPT and bilirubin levels are high. I have been experiencing vomiting and nausea for the past one month. I had tested myself for jaundice around 15 days back; only bilirubin was high that time. Now, in the recent test taken three days ago...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The term hepatitis indicates inflammation of the liver and that may manifest as jaundice. It is due to many causes such as infection, metabolic, etc. We need to do a thorough investigation, because treatment is directed towards the specific disease and some medication ma...  Read Full »

I am pregnant and having severe body itching. What is the treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant. I have developed severe itching all over my body, particularly in palms and soles of feet. I initially did not take it serious and kept applying coconut oil, Lacto calamine, etc., to get some relief. However, I did not get any relief from any of these. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have raised liver enzymes. This indicates that you have a condition called obstetric cholestasis (bile acid accumulation in blood resulting in constant ithcing during third trimester of pregnancy). It needs proper treatment and you need to get LFT - liver functio...  Read Full »

I have increased ALT, AST and GGT. What does it indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. Recently I went through LFT tests. It was found that I have increased ALT 147, AST 59 and GGT 80. What I have to do now? I am non-alcoholic. Please guide.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query on icliniq.com. Increased ALT (alanine transaminase), AST (aspartate aminotransferase) and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) indicates liver injury or gallbladder injury. I would suggest you to carry out ultrasound examination of abdomen to rule ou...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have high SGOT and SGPT levels, immediately after stopping Udiliv?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with high SGOT and SGPT levels and started medication (Udiliv) one year back. They levels dropped a month back, and the tests showed normal values. So, I stopped taking the medicines after the doctor's advice. Today when I did a blood test, SGOT and SGPT was 59 and 114. Is...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. SGOT and SGPT values do not rise immediately after stopping Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) usually. You need further evaluation like fibroscan, to find out rare causes of liver enzyme elevation. Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> ...  Read Full »