Common "Tests For Hepatitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Tests For Hepatitis

Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver, often due to viral infections, such as hepatitis A, B, and C, but in some cases, medications, drugs, toxins, and alcohol too cause it. Initially, a physical examination is done. Blood tests using liver function tests and complete blood count are taken to evaluate the signs of viral infection in the body. A liver biopsy and liver ultrasound are also done to diagnose it. For diagnosing hepatitis B, there are three screening tests - hepatitis B surface antigen test, hepatitis B core antibody test, and hepatitis B antibody test.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with my liver?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having some pain in my back. The same thing happened a year before and it was diagnosed to be some liver infection. I had Liv 52 at that time and it got cured. I have attached my recent reports for your reference. Please help with my suffering.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I had gone through all the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have chronic hepatitis and we need to find out the cause for that. Chronic hepatitis may progress to cancer and so evaluation is important. Kindly get an ultrasound abdom...  Read Full »

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I've carefully reviewed all the provided data (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Two noteworthy abnormalities stand out. Firstly, the high percentage of lymphocytes combined with the low neutrophil count is commonly associated with viral fever. This pattern...  Read Full »

What does it mean if I tested positive for hepatitis C?

Query: Hello doctor,I am hepatitis C positive with IgM + IgG of 14.2. This test was conducted five years ago. What is the significance of this? I have full medical test including LFT from two months back including sonography where things were normal. Do I need to worry about this? Does it require a treatme...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif. M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You need to get the hepatitis C quantitative assay (RNA level) done and need to get treatment depending upon that. There is no need to worry. Your other labs are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But please be under the strict follow-up of a nea...  Read Full »

What would be the management of hepatitis infection?

Query: Dear doctor, I want to know the interpretation of my lab test for hepatitis. These are: HBsAg 5638.62 reactive, anti HBs 0.00 nonreactive, anti HAV IgG (reverse) 1.06 reactive, anti HCV 0.520 nonreactive, SGPT 19 (ref value is less than or equal to 41 U/L). The liver ultrasound: right mid hepatic le...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif. M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have hepatitis B infection. You need to get your HBV DNA quantitative level and depending on that, start antiviral treatment from your treating physician. I suggest you strictly adhere to treatment. Go for liver function test every three months. Get a scan (u...  Read Full »

What is wrong in my annual health checkup report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. Recently, I have gone for an annual health checkup. Following are the areas which are highlighted as abnormal for which I seek consultation in evaluating it better. I would like to find the root cause for the same along with medication or lifestyle changes, if any...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to In addressing eosinophilia, it is crucial to identify and eliminate any allergies or worms if symptoms such as an itchy nose, sneezing, wheezing, breathing issues, rash, or abdominal pain are present. For low Vitamin D, a recommendation of 1250 mcg of vitamin D once a...  Read Full »

I am worried about HIV or other STDs after unprotected sex. What can I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who had unprotected sex yesterday. I was drunk, but now, I am worried about HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) or any STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) for that matter. I do not have medical access for the next three months, as I am on a ship. If I express my a...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to We do not know the HIV status (Human immunodeficiency virus) of the person with whom you had sex and also your baseline HIV status, the other thing you mentioned that you do not have medical access for next three months. Considering the availability of only Lamivudine ...  Read Full »

Please interpret my blood chemistry report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a blood chemistry result. Can you give me interpretation? Also explain what is the next step? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I had gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most of the reports are normal like, complete blood picture, FBS - fasting blood sugar and urine routine. Some of them needs attention, so I am commenting on them. In lipid profile L...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-like" w...  Read Full »

Is my weight loss due to hepatitis B?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male. I would like to describe the series of events to you and need your advice as I have been most disturbing post this event in my life. It has been eight months since my first ever sexual encounter, but I am still tensed and lost. I am too scared to get a blood te...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif. M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From your detailed summary, I can understand how anxious and tense you are. Firstly, the lab tests you forwarded, including liver function tests, are absolutely normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Hepatitis B will not get spread by the activity...  Read Full »

Can you please suggest some tests for managing hepatitis B disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tested hepatitis B positive two years back. I have not done any tests after that. Could you please advise me what all tests I should take for managing the hepatitis B disease? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. I suggest you get the following tests for evaluation purposes: HbeAg (hepatitis B e-antigen), HbeAb (hepatitis B e antibody), hepatitis D antibody, liver function tests, creatinine, HBV-DNA PCR (hepatitis B virus-deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.