Tetanus Injection

I had a dog scratch. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, I just want to confirm that is there any blood from the scratches over your skin? Wash the scratches with soap and plenty of water. If possible provide a image of scratches to me so that I can conclude and if possible watch over the dog...  Read Full »

Is tetanus injection necessary despite DPT vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter aged 6 years got a cut and scratch in her body while playing in a new cementing wall from a piece of old and unused iron four days ago. Does she require any toxoid injection?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Since you are sure that the scratch is from an old iron piece, I think you should give tetanus injection to the child. I hope this will help you.  Read Full »

Do I need a rabies vaccine if a dog's leg touched my feet?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is related to the necessity of rabies vaccine for me. I am a 27 year old healthy male. I am a student, staying in the large campus of my institute. This campus is filled with stray dogs and many other types of animals. People caressing those dogs is a very common scene here. One...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your apprehension. As it is already one week since you had the dog touch your feet and there was no bleed or break of skin as such. No vaccination is required now. You should have thoroughly cleaned the region immediately after the dog had touched your leg....  Read Full »

The needle tip was touching bed sheet before TT injection. Can it cause any infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got a TT injection in deltoid of left arm today from a local hospital. After loading injection in casualty the nurse called to injection room, I sat there, nurse cleaned my arm with spirit. After cleaning, I noticed that the preloaded syringe with the needle was kept on the bed...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know that you are careful with healthcare. Firstly I would like to know what was the reason to take a TT injection? On a general note, the injection needle scenario you described is completely safe from most serious viral infections, but only a few bacteria may ...  Read Full »

Is tetanus shot required for a small scratch from a rusted wire?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 35 years old. She had a small scratch from a rusted wire on her right forearm, three hours back. There was no blood loss. And she did not wash it with running water or use Dettol or anything to wipe the area. Also, she had her last tetanus shot 5 years ago. Should we ge...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You should clean the wounded area with betadine solution. She has to be given a tetanus shot. In case if the wound is painful, give her a painkiller. Revert with the following details: Is it painful, if yes on a scale of 10 and 10 being the...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get an injection for a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I was playing with my friend's dog yesterday. By mistake, the dog's teeth touched my hand, and a little drop of blood came out. Do I did need an injection?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your friend has done a vaccination to the dog, then there is no problem. Keep the bitten site clean, wash with warm water and soap. Apply Oxygenated water and Betadine (Povidone Iodine) locally. You can take them over the counter, and there is no need for a prescript...  Read Full »

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have. Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if devel...  Read Full »

Do I need another tetanus shot now if I had one last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tetanus shot last year around June. I had another minor mishap on the road with a small injury (cleaned with antiseptic). Do I need another tetanus shot now?  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The last year's dose is not going to give you any protection now. If any one of the following has happened during the injury, you will need tetanus followup: Injury due to any rusted metallic object. Abrasion due to contact with the ground or the road. Contact ...  Read Full »

What should I do to heal my wound?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a pharmacist. I am having a deep wound in my foot. Currently, I am taking Taxim-O CV 325, Lyser D and Vitamin A to Z. I am dressing the wound with Betadine and T-Bact ointment. What else should I do?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You did not mention that how you acquired that wound. Continue the medications. First of all, I will suggest you to take a proper diet as nutrition is very important in rapid wound healing. Take more proteins in your diet like pulses and dairy products and avoid fatty di...  Read Full »

Got a TT shot after a fall and having more muscle and body pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a girl of 20. Three days back, I had a fall from my motorbike on the road. I had some superficial bruises on my right leg and muscle pain on the right side of my body. I took a tetanus shot from my physician. I had Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day for two days to get relief from body ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tetanus injections cause pain and localized swelling. This is the reason for your trouble after getting a tetanus shot. The body and muscle pain, which you are describing, seems to be injury related and they are subsiding too. You need to have anti-inflammatory medicines ...  Read Full »