Tetanus Injection

Can a tetanus shot to the hip cause knee pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female who weighs about 95 kg. I had been given a tetanus shot in my hip one year back. After that, I felt sharp shooting pain around my knee whenever I stand extremely painful, and I needed the support of something, and later I was pretty much fine as this pain was...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right; usually, vaccinations are given intramuscularly into the upper arm. However, the location you mention is also allowed and, of course, possible. It is also possible to irritate a nerve with an injection, at least in theory, but rarely happens. However, ...  Read Full »

Why do I have marks on my legs, which is increasing in size?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old and weighs about 61 kg. I have some marks on my leg after an accident. There is no more injury, but the mark is increasing like it is not a mark of injury, but something else. It is very difficult to explain. If I share the image, you will understand it better.  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for attaching pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I have checked it carefully. It is due to infection. Because you had an injury and due to an open wound, that infection took place, and you would not have taken proper precautions. Ma...  Read Full »

What treatment should I do for a cut on forearm?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a small cut on my forearm while cleaning my house due to the barbwire fencing. Can you please advice on the medication for it?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com It is better if you could attach the picture. Now as you have mentioned, if it is a small cut topical antibiotics would be enough. You should apply Mupirocin ointment or Betadine ointment three to four times a day until it heals. Also, as it is a metal wire, you shou...  Read Full »

Can T-Bact or Neosporin ointment be used on a wound?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 2 years old, fell off while playing. She got hurt above the left eye with mild scar. Please suggest some medication. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did it bleed? How deep is the wound? If the child is not immunized or if it is a bad infected wound, then Tetanus injection may be required. Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online...  Read Full »

I had a dog scratch. Do I need rabies vaccine?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a dog scratch. Stray dog accidently tripped over my legs and his foot bruised over mine. No cut, no blood. Do I need rabies vaccine?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Kumar Kumawat

General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query carefully, I just want to confirm that is there any blood from the scratches over your skin? Wash the scratches with soap and plenty of water. If possible provide a image of scratches to me so that I can conclude and if possible watch over the dog...  Read Full »

Is tetanus injection necessary despite DPT vaccine?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter aged 6 years got a cut and scratch in her body while playing in a new cementing wall from a piece of old and unused iron four days ago. Does she require any toxoid injection?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Since you are sure that the scratch is from an old iron piece, I think you should give tetanus injection to the child. I hope this will help you.  Read Full »

Do I need a rabies vaccine if a dog's leg touched my feet?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is related to the necessity of rabies vaccine for me. I am a 27 year old healthy male. I am a student, staying in the large campus of my institute. This campus is filled with stray dogs and many other types of animals. People caressing those dogs is a very common scene here. One...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your apprehension. As it is already one week since you had the dog touch your feet and there was no bleed or break of skin as such. No vaccination is required now. You should have thoroughly cleaned the region immediately after the dog had touched your leg....  Read Full »

The needle tip was touching bed sheet before TT injection. Can it cause any infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got a TT injection in deltoid of left arm today from a local hospital. After loading injection in casualty the nurse called to injection room, I sat there, nurse cleaned my arm with spirit. After cleaning, I noticed that the preloaded syringe with the needle was kept on the bed...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know that you are careful with healthcare. Firstly I would like to know what was the reason to take a TT injection? On a general note, the injection needle scenario you described is completely safe from most serious viral infections, but only a few bacteria may ...  Read Full »

Is tetanus shot required for a small scratch from a rusted wire?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 35 years old. She had a small scratch from a rusted wire on her right forearm, three hours back. There was no blood loss. And she did not wash it with running water or use Dettol or anything to wipe the area. Also, she had her last tetanus shot 5 years ago. Should we ge...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You should clean the wounded area with betadine solution. She has to be given a tetanus shot. In case if the wound is painful, give her a painkiller. Revert with the following details: Is it painful, if yes on a scale of 10 and 10 being the...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get an injection for a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I was playing with my friend's dog yesterday. By mistake, the dog's teeth touched my hand, and a little drop of blood came out. Do I did need an injection?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your friend has done a vaccination to the dog, then there is no problem. Keep the bitten site clean, wash with warm water and soap. Apply Oxygenated water and Betadine (Povidone Iodine) locally. You can take them over the counter, and there is no need for a prescript...  Read Full »