Benefits Of Breastfeeding

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

How can I stop daytime breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 months old baby. My baby has started solids. I give her two meals and two snacks. I am planning to go back to work now. My question is how do I stop daytime breastfeeding? Should I breast pump and bottle feed her or should I start Formula?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to breast pump and store the milk rather than Formula feed. The breast milk should be stored in hygienic conditions in the fridge separately from other food items. The milk need not be heated again before consumption but the bottle in which it is kept shoul...  Read Full »

What are the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor,Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively breastfeed? Why does it work for them?  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is actually easy if mother has the required amount of milk to fulfill the baby's requirements. Breastfeeding transfer immunity to the baby, prepare his or her body to resist against disease and is sterile as well means no need to prepare it and any arrange...  Read Full »

Baby is not liking any formula. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, Absolutely nothing is wrong with my baby. We went to the hospital and nothing is wrong. It is just that she is seven months and she has been eating foods. So now she does not like how her formula taste. We have tried every brand and every kind of formula and she just does not want it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just got your concern. Relax. I am here to help you. Follow advice. Just give her some time to accept the taste of the new formula. Do not rush to introduce many things at a time. By offering multiple tastes at the time you are confusing her so she is frustrated. Giv...  Read Full »

Newborn is urinating frequently. Is breastfeeding enough for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 5 weeks old. He is frequently urinating but slow weight gain. Is my breastfeeding enough for him or not?  Read Full »

Dr. Kausalya

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent urination is because of more of foremilk feeding. Poor weight gain due to hindmilk deficiency. Hindmilk is rich in fat which helps in baby's weight gain. Foremilk contains more of water which makes the baby pass urine frequently. Your feeding has to be assessed...  Read Full »

Can I breastfeed baby after three hours of smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a breast-feeding woman. I used to be a smoker before I got pregnant. I am really stressed out. If I have one and wait three hours before feeding, will it be fine?  Read Full »

Dr. Galen Harnden

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend trying to quit entirely. Cigarette exposure in infants increases the risk for several problems, including asthma, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), eczema, and many more. There are several options to help quit, including nicotine patches, gum, and e...  Read Full »

I accidentally pressed the soft spot on my 40 days old baby's head. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I had accidentally pressed the soft spot in the head of my 40 days old baby while taking him out of the crib. He was crying before and after, and he had not made any special responses. Is there anything to worry? Please help. I am so tensed.  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just pressing the soft spot on the baby's head would not cause any major problem. It is just an opening in the head bones. Baby's feel discomfort during handling, hence they cry. But be careful to notice if any excessive and inconsolable cry occurs. Thank you and have a...  Read Full »

My 3.5 months old baby vomits after we feed him formula milk. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Hope you are doing well. I want to ask a question about my 3.5 months old baby. I feed him both breast milk and formula milk. But whenever I feed him formula milk, after 20 to 30 minutes, he starts to cry a lot, becomes fussy, and vomits that milk.  After vomiting, he feels relaxed. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Breast milk is easier to digest, and as a result, there is no problem of abdomen pain or vomiting. The reasons of vomiting after formula milk could be the following: You are giving more than the appetite of the child. Since you are also ...  Read Full »

My breast milk is not sufficient for my 33 days old son. Can I give him powder milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My second baby boy is 33 days old. I am breastfeeding him from birth, but now the breast milk is not sufficient for him. What should I do now? Shall I go for milk powders? Or is there any other way to increase breast milk production? Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two definite methods to ensure that the baby is getting adequate milk or not. They are: If the baby is gaining weight of 150 g or more per week, then the baby is getting sufficient milk. If the baby is passing urine more than 6 to 8 times a day (large amount), ...  Read Full »

My 6 weeks old daughter is suffering from loose motion. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 6 weeks old and suffering from loose motion. Her stool is yellowish and watery. She is passing stools with a fart. She passed stools for more than 10 times in 4 hours now. She is completely on breastfeeding. She is not pale and her lips are not dry. Also, she has some ra...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks to be your first child. Normally, children below the age of 6 months pass stools 10 to 15 times a day or once in two days. So, do not worry. Please stop using gripe water. It is not recommended. Nothing other than breastmilk is advisable in the first six months....  Read Full »