Benefits Of Breastfeeding

My 6-week-old baby weighs 3.2 kg. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a six-week-old baby. During my pregnancy, the gynecologist told me that she is too small for the gestational age. She weighed 2.9 kilograms at birth. After six weeks, I visited the doctor today and she weighed 3.2 kilograms only. I am worried. Is there something wrong with my baby...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Her birth weight is good. I am proud to hear that you are giving breastfeeding. Weight gain after birth is variable. It is usually 30 grams per day. I recommend you plot weight in a weight chart. If there is no illness till date, your baby wil...  Read Full »

Why is my 1-month-old baby suffering from severe gas?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby girl is 1 month old. I am having a really tough time both physically and mentally. I hope you can help me out. At around 3 weeks, my baby started having gas trouble. I gave gripe water as per guidance from my parents. When I searched on the internet, I found that it is bad for bab...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be going through a lot of stress with your child.¬†Please calm down. All these phenomena are completely normal till the age of 6 months in every child. I believe this must be your first child and that is why all the confusion. Normal things that every first...  Read Full »

How can I stop daytime breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 months old baby. My baby has started solids. I give her two meals and two snacks. I am planning to go back to work now. My question is how do I stop daytime breastfeeding? Should I breast pump and bottle feed her or should I start Formula?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to breast pump and store the milk rather than Formula feed. The breast milk should be stored in hygienic conditions in the fridge separately from other food items. The milk need not be heated again before consumption but the bottle in which it is kept shoul...  Read Full »

What should I do to stop loose motion in my newborn due to cow's milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 months old. He always cries and sleep very less and always demand milk as I produce less milk. I gave him cow's milk with a little bit of sugar into it. And from the last two days, he is having losse motion. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suppose you are taking a lot of tension. Milk output has a correlation with maternal emotions. Positive outlook will stimulate the release of oxytocin that enhances milk production. You need to worry less. Have a good diet and maintain good hydration. Spend more ti...  Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that onc...  Read Full »

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

What are the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor,Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively breastfeed? Why does it work for them?  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is actually easy if mother has the required amount of milk to fulfill the baby's requirements. Breastfeeding transfer immunity to the baby, prepare his or her body to resist against disease and is sterile as well means no need to prepare it and any arrange...  Read Full »

Baby is not liking any formula. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, Absolutely nothing is wrong with my baby. We went to the hospital and nothing is wrong. It is just that she is seven months and she has been eating foods. So now she does not like how her formula taste. We have tried every brand and every kind of formula and she just does not want it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just got your concern. Relax. I am here to help you. Follow advice. Just give her some time to accept the taste of the new formula. Do not rush to introduce many things at a time. By offering multiple tastes at the time you are confusing her so she is frustrated. Giv...  Read Full »

Newborn is urinating frequently. Is breastfeeding enough for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 5 weeks old. He is frequently urinating but slow weight gain. Is my breastfeeding enough for him or not?  Read Full »

Dr. Kausalya

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent urination is because of more of foremilk feeding. Poor weight gain due to hindmilk deficiency. Hindmilk is rich in fat which helps in baby's weight gain. Foremilk contains more of water which makes the baby pass urine frequently. Your feeding has to be assessed...  Read Full »

Can I breastfeed baby after three hours of smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a breast-feeding woman. I used to be a smoker before I got pregnant. I am really stressed out. If I have one and wait three hours before feeding, will it be fine?  Read Full »

Dr. Galen Harnden

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend trying to quit entirely. Cigarette exposure in infants increases the risk for several problems, including asthma, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), eczema, and many more. There are several options to help quit, including nicotine patches, gum, and e...  Read Full »