Height Growth

Will my son be short as I am short?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 years 1 month old. His height is 119.5 cm and weight is 25.5 kg. He is a very normal and healthy boy. My height is 5 feet 5 inches and my wife's height is 5 feet. I am worried about his height? Please explain me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son's weight is fine and height is on the lower side. The body mass index is fine, but could be better. Height usually depends on a few things like the height of the parents genetically related, delay in height spurt and undernutrition. But...  Read Full »

Why have a few reddish spots developed on my baby's head?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy, who is 8 months 14 days old. His weight is 7.6 kg and height is 27 inches. He is taking Arbivit-3 and Zincovit drops daily according to the doctor's advice. Are his weight and height fine? From few days, there are some reddish spots developed on his head and in some parts of...  Read Full »

Dr. Navreet Sharda

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son's weight and height are in normal range, but it is definitely towards lower side. I expect his weight to be between 2 to 3 kg at the time of birth. He need close monitoring as far as growth is concerned. If he is gaining weight adequately in the next coming mont...  Read Full »

Can a child's height be increased with protein powder?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a son and a daughter. My height is 5.7 and wife is 5.1. I am extremely worried about my children height as we are short. My daughter is now 3 years 10 months old and have 14.5 kg weight and 38 inches tall. She had seizure thrice and taking some sodium liquid medicine for the past th...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I will try to sort it out for you. As you told me father's height 5.7 that is 170 cm and mother's height is 5.1 that is 155 cm. According to both of your heights, which is an average height of most of the people, the target range fo...  Read Full »

What is advised at the age of 15 to improve height?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 15 years old. She is having a problem with growth. She is not growing even a single cm from 1 year. I am too scared about her future. She is only 150 cm now. Many advised her to do skipping, swimming, cycling, etc. Though she is doing skipping, it does not help much. I just n...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good day. Thanks for your query. I am afraid that I do not have good news for you. In your sister's age, it is not possible to increase height of about 2 or 3 inches with any medications. The growth plates in the bones close after 13 - 15 years of age in females and n...  Read Full »

Can sudden asphyxia cause brain injury in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about the health of my nephew who has got brain injury during his birth. In the past he had DHA supplements and used to do exercise. I need your consult regarding the extent of injury, effects, solutions and medication. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly give me some more information about the clinical status of your nephew such as age, growth pattern, milestones and any other symptoms associated with it. Revert back with the asked details to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-o...  Read Full »

Can stem cells be used to grow taller?

Query: Hello doctor, I want, prior to anything, thank you for the time you are going to take to answer this question. I have been told by my basketball coach, in order to grow taller, to undergo the following kind of intervention, but my question is, where and how to undertake such a procedure. This is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kashif Mahmood Qureshi

Family Physician, General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. Stem cell transplantation is a highly specialized procedure and is generally done for specific indications. Almost all such procedures are conducted by the Surgical Oncology Teams (Specialized Cancer Hospitals). Stem cell tranplantation are generally done in patient...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take second x-ray to confirm first x-ray findings regarding growth plate fusion?

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering whether you think it would be worth it for me getting a second x-ray to confirm if my growth plates have fused? The first one shows no visible plate.  Read Full »

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understood your concerns. To tell you the exact answer we need your age and from your question, I suggest you take an x-ray but not now, wait for some time and then have an x-ray done.  Read Full »

Is there any possibility to increase the height from 155 cm to 157.5 cm in a 22 year old man?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old male and want to join technical duty branch in the Indian Air Force. But my height is 155 cm, and the airforce eligibility criteria for the required height is 157.5 cm. So I cannot hold this height criteria.I want to increase my height by up to 157.5 cm. My mother's he...  Read Full »

Dr. Hemang Sudhakarbhai Jani

Fitness Expert, Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Once you achieve 18 years, your bones of the whole body can become fused. Now according to scientific research, there will be very less or no chance to gain height. But for your satisfaction, you can do vigorous exercise pull-ups, yoga practice, and pranayama practi...  Read Full »

Does HGH help you grow taller?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it possible to grow taller with HGH therapy? I am so extremely insecure about my height. I am 5'10" and I realize that is not that short. My past two girlfriends have broken up with me and mentioned my height as a reason. I realize it sounds ridiculous to other people, but I am worried...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Height is something that is determined by genes. Yes, there are medicines for increasing height, but it should be used only if you are found to be having growth hormone deficiency. I would want to ask you a few questions. What is your mother's and father's height? What wa...  Read Full »

How to get 6 feet tall?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old guy. I am just 5'5" tall. I want to be at least 6 feet tall. Is there any way to stimulate the pituitary gland to secrete growth hormones?  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Growth depends on many factors: Hereditary influence of growth. Nutrition during childhood (at the growing ages). Any illness during the growing age that results in stunted growth. Growth after 21 years is not possible since the growing ends of the bone would ha...  Read Full »