Height Growth

Height growth is achieved with the help of growth hormones. A person can gain a height of two inches every year from the age of one till puberty. After hitting puberty, height growth is achieved by four inches. For girls, growth spurs begin early in their teenage years. Faster height growth can be achieved by exercising regularly and taking a good protein diet.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have not seen any growth in my height in the last five years. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I have a question concerning my height. I grew from 5 feet and 2 inches to 5 feet and 9 inches between 11 to 13 years. I did not have any noticeable growth since then. Usually, you would consider me as an early bloomer, but I had not shown signs of puberty unt...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it does not appear that you have a delay in your height growth velocity. According to your parent's height, your predicted height turns out to be 5 feet and 11 inches, and your current height is 5 feet and 10 inche...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get taller after 17 years of age once the growth stops?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is about height. I do not care about height, but it is just curiosity, my hobby, so I am not trying to cry somehow, I am just interested in this topic. If a person stops growing at the age for example 17 years and his or her height remains unchanged since then, is it possi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. No, this is not possible. Example, if in the female the bone plates have fused by 16 to 18 years and in males by 18 to 21 years then there is no possibility for these bones to grow vertically. Usually, there is s...  Read Full »

I am a 27-year-old male. Is there a scope for further height increase at this age?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 7 inches. Is there a scope for further height increase at this age? I read somewhere that the pituitary gland is responsible for secreting HGH hormones, which can do its job until 35 years, and that height can be increased until age 35 if...  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The bones have segments that grow; hence, height increases. The pituitary hormone (growth hormone) acts on the epiphysis (the bone growth segments). Usually, the bones stop growing at puberty or soon after, but usually by age 21. Therefore...  Read Full »

I am 23 years old and 5.2 feet tall. Is it possible to grow at this age?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old and 5.2 feet tall. I want to increase my height. Is it possible to grow at this age? Please recommend some medication.   Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. As you are already 23 years old, your bones have already fused, so there is not much chance for extra height. However, alternative medicine and yoga could add a few inches to your height. I suggest you to follow ...  Read Full »

Why have the feet and hands not grown in an 18 year old male?

Query: Hello doctor, Basically, my current height is 5 feet 7 inches, and I am 18 years old, for which my doctor said I am only taller than 25 % of my age group. I have not hit my second main growth spurt I believe. I have been growing really slowly over the years, even when I was 14 years old, I was not g...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your current height will be based on a combination of your genes and environmental factors. If your parents are tall, you will also reach a good height eventually in most of the cases. A good diet rich in carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals and all micronutri...  Read Full »

I am 16 years old, and I have minimum residual growth plate left in my wrist bone. How much can I grow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old, and I will turn 17 in four months. I am attaching a copy of my wrist x-rays below. Could you tell me if my growth plates are closed or open?   Read Full »

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope you are doing well. By the looks of your wrist x-ray (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), your growth plates are almost over, and the minimal residual growth left will also be over in 1 to 2 months. Any growth modulating procedure you are th...  Read Full »

Can Lupron injections be given to the 6-year-old child to treat breast buds?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter, and it appears that your daughter has precocious puberty and therefore it is necessary to give Lupron (Leuprolide acetate) injections. The problem is, if she continues without treatment, then she will reach a bone matu...  Read Full »

Is there any chance I can increase my height using tablets or medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to have a professional opinion about an issue. Well, it has been there since I was a kid. I was always the shortest in class, and I would like to know if there is a chance I can increase my height using tablets or medications that are safe and risk-free as it is affecting...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You can still increase your height. You have a margin of about two years. Because the bones fuse at the age of about 19 years. Yes, there are exceptions to this, but in general, it is 19 years, and trust me, two years is a lot of time to...  Read Full »

Can stem cells be used to grow taller?

Query: Hello doctor, I want, prior to anything, thank you for the time you are going to take to answer this question. I have been told by my basketball coach, in order to grow taller, to undergo the following kind of intervention, but my question is, where and how to undertake such a procedure. This is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kashif Mahmood Qureshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. Stem cell transplantation is a highly specialized procedure and is generally done for specific indications. Almost all such procedures are conducted by the Surgical Oncology Teams (Specialized Cancer Hospitals). Stem cell tranplantation are generally done in patients ...  Read Full »

From parents' height please suggest the probable height that can be attained.

Query: Hello doctor,My sister is 14 years old. She is 4 feet 10 (148cm) and weighs 77 pounds (35 kg). She started her period when she was 12. She grew 12 cm from 10 to 12 years and 5 cm from 12 to 13. However, she stopped growing from 13 to 14. Our mother is 5 feet 2 (157 cm), and our father is 5 feet 8 (1...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Her expected height will be from your parents' height, 165 cm approx. Yes, after 12 years of age, the growth rate is slow. But, she will grow. Meanwhile, she can do stretching exercises to enhance her height. Chronic illness can halt growt...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.